Pages

Thursday 1 January 2015

Bye bye 2014 and hello 2015!

It's been so long since I last blogged *hanging my head in shame*...but you know how it is at this time of year...but in amongst the going out and enjoying myself I've also been doing some sewing too. Which I promise to blog about very soon. Honestly, I will! But here's a few sewing things to catch up on.

  • For Christmas I got a 'Sewtionary' book which I know you're not really meant to start at the beginning and read through to the end, but that's just what I've done. I thoroughly enjoyed it, learning a lot of new things along the way too. 
  • Also for Christmas I got an invisible zipper foot. Confession time- even though I've been sewing for years and years, I've never inserted an invisible zip!  
  • I also bought myself a nifty wee device to make 25mm bias binding and I have to report that it actually works. I've used it for a recent project- to be blogged soon.
  • I bought myself a piping foot for my sewing machine 
  • I salvaged the mess I made of the black and cream dogtooth checked trousers I mentioned in a previous blog post. I basically added 3.5" to the rise and then found out, surprise, that the crotch length was too high. 
  • I've been at the John Lewis sale and bought a couple of lengths of fabric which will eventually turn into tops. They're fabric sale is very good, lots of fabrics at 50% off, including quilting cottons which I know can be quite expensive, even though I don't quilt myself.
  • I've sewn three tops (all unblogged so far!) and started a blouse 
I've been reading other bloggers review of their 204 sewing. Since I've only been blogging about my sewing since August, that's probably a bit of a stretch for me to do but I can definitely look to the year ahead so here's a list of things I'd like to do and sew in 2015-

  • sew something in silk fabric
  • buy a walking foot for my New Home (that tells you how old my sewing machine is!)
  • sew a summer jacket
  • sew a winter coat
  • make a pair of jeans
  • sew a plaid top
  • make a summer dress
  • sew some cotton lawn pyjamas, with piped seams
  • sew a raincoat
  • make more dresses
  • sew more blouses 
  • sew more knitted fabrics
...and with the intention of working my way towards a me-made wardrobe sometime in the future!

I feel that I would rather buy better quality fabrics and sew garments that fit me better (not perfectly, I'm just not that skilled!) but better than the RTW I could buy. It's a balance between what I can do in the limited time I have to sew anything but the goal of sewing myself towards a me-made wardrobe is one I'd really love to achieve. We'll see what happens!

What are your sewing plans or Sew-Resolutions for 2015?



No comments:

Post a Comment