Monday, 4 May 2015

Printed jersey top

Well, after weeks and weeks of not having enough time to do any sewing, I spent yesterday afternoon...sewing! Hurray! It's good to sew and I wanted a quick make. Some of you might remember the fabrics I bought when we went to Glasgow for the weekend and mentioned in this post, well I used the printed viscose jersey fabric from this haul and reached for a tried and tested pattern New Look 6216. I made View A, the longer sleeved top.

Actually I'm telling a bit of a fib! I cut View A and added as much as I could to the length of the sleeves. I bought 1.5 metres of 150cm wide of the fabric. The I pre-washed it and think it shrank because when I laid out the pattern pieces to cut it out, I didn't have enough fabric to add my customary 2" to the body length. Yikes! In the end I folded the fabric width-wise and was able to get the proper body length in. I'd wanted full length sleeves but had to settle for 3/4 length. Oh well, I can live with that.

What I have found is that the finished top isn't as stretchy as it should or could be. The majority of the stretch now goes lengthways because of how I cut it out, there is some widthwise stretch so I added a bit of extra ease as I was cutting out so that's not a problem.

I'm wearing this as I'm writing this blog-post so it qualifies for Me Made May, I've decided to post at the end of every week for Me Made May. It'll be more of a stroll through my week rather than a gallop trying to post every day.

So, not that exciting a top or pattern but it's one of those makes that 'fills a gap' and I have a very wearable top for work which is no bad thing. Just have to get some desperately needed trousers started though......

No comments:

Post a Comment