Pages

Monday 17 August 2015

A quick jersey top



Hi everyone and how was your weekend? I had a good one and have this top to prove it! I've recently bought an overlocker and although I've been using it where I can I thought I'd challenge myself to make a jersey garment using as much of the overlocker as possible. Turns out that was quite easy and it took about 3 hours from cutting out to finishing!

The pattern is Simplicity 1463 and looks good for churning out more versions. This is something I like. A real workhorse of a pattern! Good for layering iin the autumn and winter with cardigans, jumpers and scarves.

I made View A with wide sleeve cuffs, a high-low hem, scooped neck and my favourite bit - glorious batwing sleeves. You'll see those in a minute. Or if you can't wait, just scroll down.

The fabric is a lovely teal (what...teal again! see my previous post) This is a 97% viscose and 3% lycra viscose and it hangs beautifully. It also feels lovely and smooth, a bit silky in the finish. I bought it from John Lewis in Edinburgh. I prewashed it before cutting.

The only adjustment I made to the pattern was to add 2" to the body length as it was a bit short for me, but that's not surprising as I'm 5'9" tall and I presume the pattern is drafted for a 5'6" person.

My photographer was At Home yesterday morning so I was able to get some photos of me, which is nice. I don't mind posting garments on hangers but it gets a bit same-y after a while. The out-take from this set of photos is probably the first photo in this post. I don't know what I was laughing at. Probably C, actually!

I wasn't sure if I'd like this top when it was finished but then I put it on yesterday and now I love it! I think it's the combination of a good style and a lovely fabric. I'm very pleased with it.

After two teal coloured garments in a row, I have to promise that i won't make anything more in teal for a little while! Actually the next thing I'm going to make is a Grainline Linden top from magenta coloured cotton/lycra. I downloaded the pattern yesterday and taped it together. This was inbetween booking an overnight hotel for a wee cheeky trip to Glasgow. Mandors, consider yourselves warned, I'm coming!

And the last photo is of the glorious batwing sleeves, as a reward for your patience and perseverance in reading this far! Well done!

I'll be back!



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Franca, I think the high low hem gives it a more contemporary look and I'm becoming quite a fan of them.

      Delete