The fabric is 100% polyester but it behaved itself very well. Here's the 'before' top accessorised with its price tag:
Perfectly nice top. So I used the legendary New Look 6217 . How I love that pattern! Pattern placement is the thing with this fabric. After unpicking the side seams and chopping off the shoulders, v-neck and sleeves there was enough to get the pattern pieces cut out. But there was not enough for the sleeves so I traced a front sleeve and back sleeve pattern piece. Here's a challenge for you, let's play 'spot the sleeve seam' in this photo (I did absolutely no pattern matching for these sleeves):
Nope? I'll point it out for you:
I liked the border print along the hem so I didn't cut the curved pattern hem. I also added side seam slits:
And here's the back, showing the centred pattern placement:
I had a think about how to finish the neck as the pattern uses bias binding. That would be too bulky for this fine fabric so I drafted back and front neck facings to give good support to the neck area. I used soft dark grey iron-on interfacing and the facings have worked a treat. I used the overlocker throughout, except where I couldn't avoid it - topstitching the side seam slits.
So, all in all, I'm really pleased with my new top and happy I've done something with an unworn top that's been hanging in my wardrobe for literally years! Now onto the trousers and here's my play on words for you! I've actually sewn a pair of Ultimate trousers in stretch black suiting and another pair in stretch grey suiting:
I used fabric bought from John lewis and used the overlocker to run them up. Honestly they didn't take much time and they've been washed and worn a lot! Don't you just need some good solid basics? There's not much more to say about these, pretty unremarkable but I really like them.
Now onto the Named Jamie jeans. Again, I've made two pairs, one in stretch black denim and another from stretch black fine needlecord, both fabrics bought from John Lewis. These are also pretty unremarkable too as I've got my adjustments fairly well sorted out. I do have to confess though, that the black needlecord ones will be heading to the charity shop as I mucked up the waistband and made it too small. They've also shrunk slightly in the wash and are now (in my mind) just slightly too short in the legs. I pre-washed my fabrics before cutting out so this was more shrinking going on. Some you win, some you lose!