Pages

Monday 8 December 2014

Satin top

After the long-running saga of the wool trousers, I fairly sped through my latest sew- a satin top. I used Burda 7079 and made view A. Well, I decided I
wanted more of a plain top, without the notched neckline...so apart from that, I made the pattern more of less as it is. Well, except I decided not to use facings and made some bias binding using the fabric, and finished the neck and sleeve edges with it. 

I wanted as plain a  pattern as possible to let the fabric be the star! Speaking of which, here's the fabric-


It's some kind of man-made satin bought from John Lewis in Edinburgh. It was about £16 a metre but you don't need much to make this top and the fabric is lovely and great to work with. I finished all the seams with my pinking scissors after experimenting with zigzagging and also tried turning over and straight stitching, but pinking the edges was by far the best option. 

So the pattern was very simple but it suits the fabric and I also needed a fast sew after taking so long to finish the wool trousers. Here are some photos of yours truly modelling the finished work of art...well, I'll maybe let you decide that!

Isn't that fabric great? Just my kind of print- loud, splodgy and in bold, strong colours. 

The only down side to this project is the gap at the back. I've said it before about other projects, but never listen to myself. I'm not a fan of a gap and should have finished it with a zip. But then that leads to another thing, it would be better with an invisible zip and I confess I've never done one of those. Something for 2015, I think. 

I'll wear this top but I'm undecided on whether it needs a zip. It does have a lovely covered button and hand-worked button-loop though. Here's a very bad photo that makes me look like I have Olympic shot-putter's shoulders (I'm not like that in real life, honest)-
Yes, the sharp eyed among you will have noticed that that's our Christmas tree up. No, it doesn't have any lights and we don't know where they've gone since last year! We have another tree in the same room, it does have lights and looks far more interesting and exciting so that'll be a trip to the shops on Saturday... 

And what's my next project? A pair of trousers but I added too much length to the rise (about 3.5") so I'll have to cut off a good 2", unpick what's left of the darts and do them again. That's not too much of a problem though. The fit looks good so it's just a matter of refining the fit after the alterations to the rise. All in all, not too bad.   

No comments:

Post a Comment