Pages

Sunday 3 April 2016

A lacy top and a print top



Hi everyone and I hope your weekends are going well and full of sewing loveliness! As I said in my last post, I've been sewing up a storm but I've built up a bit of a backlog of unblogged items. Here are two tops made from the same pattern, New Look 6217 that I've used before here. Interestingly, Hand Made Jane recently blogged about this pattern being a right corker. The secret's out folks, buy yourself a copy of this pattern now!


I love this top pattern! It takes very little fabric to make a lovely grown-on sleeve top. Here's the first of the two tops and it's made from a John Lewis remnant of John Kaldor fabric, about 80 cms long by 150cm wide costing just over £4. Bargain! When I cut it out  I didn't bother with the centre back seam or the button loop closure, and cut both back and front on folds.


I did simple turn up twice hems for the sleeves and the body hem. For the neck edge I used some black satin bias binding I already had in my sewing heap of haberdashery. I think it's 25mm wide bias binding I wanted the contrast of dark colour at the neckline. I thought about using green bias binding but I'm not so sure I'd be able to find the exact colour match so just stuck with the black.

I really like this top and it's something quite different from me, a bit more out of my comfort zone in the cream and green colours that aren't my first choice colours. It's good to get out of a rut sometimes, isn't it? I finished this top on a Saturday late afternoon and wore it out to dinner that night. That's a good sign!


The second top was a bit more of an experiment. I bought the black lace last year in a John Lewis sale and bought a metre. I think it was about £7 for the metre. I hadn't a clue what I was going to make with it but thought I'd buy it for bit of a 'fun challenge'.


I bought a metre of cream cupro lining and pre-washed it so it felt silky. I used the cupro as an underlining for the black lace and treated the two layers a one layer. I overlocked inside seams and used some black satin bias binding to hem all the edges - neck, body hem and sleeve hems. I machined the bias binding and then hand-stitched the edge on the inside f the garment.


So far I haven't worn this top yet, but I've got a feeling I'll probably wear it next weekend. I love how this has turned out and would like to make another lace/cupro lined version but in a different colour of lace. Must keep on the lookout for some coloured lace...!

This is a great pattern and if you like the style, it's very fast to cut and sew up unless you add variations to it like bias binding around hems etc. but it's a great basic style to work with. Expect to see more of these in the coming few months! Have you got a great basic pattern that you love to add variations to?


8 comments:

  1. You look very put together in them in all of their simplicity. Nice use of the satin bias. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comments. I liked the satin bias binding too, just the right width to use for these tops without distracting from the fabrics themselves.

      Delete
  2. Patterns like this one are a real treasure because if you are like me, I usually fall in love with a beautiful print that needs to be show cased. I love both of your tops because of the fabric, the fit and the perfect style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think every sewist should have a few go to patterns that are simple in design so you can ring the changes with different fabrics. It frees your mind to do something creative with fabrics and trimmings. The secret is knowing when to stop being creative though!

      Delete
  3. Lovely tops - I've just made 2 tops from this pattern too, it's great isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry, this pattern does seem to be a complete winner with a lot of sewists! I love the fit too. I was in Glasgow at the weekend and raided Mandors (could hardly carry the bag of fabric!) so expect to see a few more of these tops over the next few months. Look forward to seeing your tops soon!

      Delete
  4. These look fab, another pattern to add to my wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alison and thanks for your lovely comment. It's a great pattern if you've got only a short length of fabric or if there's a great print you don't want to break up with seams everywhere. Look forward to seeing your versions of this pattern!

    ReplyDelete