Pages

Sunday 10 April 2016

Another Jalie cocoon cardigan and some bamboo pjs


Hi everyone and how are you all getting on this weekend? Sewing up a storm, I hope! I've decided to continue dealing with the blogging post backlog by telling you about something interesting followed by a plain, everyday basic. So here we are!


First off is the exciting thing, another Jalie Cocoon cardigan I've made before here. For this one I removed the length I'd added in the grey one and added another inch or so to the sleeve length. It's a good pattern and I will very likely use it again.



I like the grey version but I like this burgundy one more, I think because of the colour. I just love burgundy. Or wine. Or merlot...whatever you like to call it! It's a John Kaldor Isabella fabric. It has 20% wool, and then something like 85% viscose and the rest is lycra. Or thereabouts. Not cheap fabric at about £18 per metre and I bought 2 metres, I think, but it's worth it for the quality of the garment at the finish. It's standing up very well to what has been already quite a lot of wear!

The sleeves and the neck edging is finished by bands. Now, the only thing about this pattern is the band at the neck. I don't know if it's me, my shape, but it was gaping terribly with excess fabric at the back of the neck. It was perfect everywhere else so I know I haven't over-stretched it elsewhere.


So, I decided to add two darts which correspond to the shoulder seams so the look like they're intentional darts. Just two darts solved the problem, you might be able to see them in the photo.


So, that's the great burgundy cardigan and now onto the plain, bamboo pyjama trousers. I need a pair of these to replace similar RTW ones I threw out last year, they were worn out. These will be worn with one of last year's Vintage Pattern Pledge garments, my nightshirt.


The fabric is bamboo with a small percentage of lycra. The fabric feels lovely but the black colour seems a little less dense black than I would want. I used Kwik Sew 2811 pyjama trousers. I added two channels and put two pieces of elastic at the waist instead of the one channel indicated by the pattern. They've turned out very well and I'm pleased with them.


So that's probably enough for one blog post. I want to put all the things I make on my blog so it also means the less interesting basics have to be posted too. I love looking at what other people make on their blogs and hearing about any problems they've had so hopefully you'll enjoy the basics too. Have a great week, everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Nice cardigan. I have not tried this Jalie pattern. Yours fits well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, yes I think I've improved the fit this time by removing the length I added in the grey cardigan but bear in mind I'm a tall person at 5'9". However, it's a good pattern and I'd recommend it.

      Delete
  2. I love that you post your basics. It's good to see which one have worked well for others since we all need them. Those pjs looks delightfully comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anemone and you're right, those pjs are very comfortable! Bamboo is a lovely fabric to work with and although it's not the cheapest jersey (at around £14 a metre) it does stand up to washing and wearing very well. Worth the investment for something you'll wear lots and lots.

      Delete
  3. Joyce, we all need the basics and they get worn way more than the fancy silk dresses and vintage skirts! Those jammie bottoms look really comfy, especially with the double elastic waistband - good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more with you, Ruth! Also I'm just not a dresses person, I always reach for the separates. I guess I'm also aiming for a me-made wardrobe too. As for the double elastic in the pjs, I bought white elastic for a wearable muslin swimsuit (unclogged!) and then discovered I hadn't bought enough. Then I thought it would b better if the elastic was black so.....I have quite a bit of white elastic to use up! Happy mistake!

      Delete
  4. Both items look great. I'm interested in the bamboo fabric. I've bought ready made items made from it but never tried stitching with it. Does it stitch like a regular knit? Your PJ bottoms look so soft and comfy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia. Now, bamboo is a lovely fabric, probably more dense and has a better recovery than a cotton/lycra jersey. It also has a very good drape. The finish is quite smooth and quite a bit silky.

      So, how do I sew it. Always pre-wash it before starting to cut it out. It will shrink. I use a ballpoint needle to stitch it on the sewing machine, and it also sews up well using an overlocker, if you have one. Be careful when pressing seams as it can go shiny so always press on the wrong side or use a pressing cloth on the right side. Apart from that it's a good fabric to work with and to wear!

      Delete