Pages

Tuesday 25 April 2017

Mellow yellow....and being brave by trying a new colour


We had a little overnight trip to Glasgow a few weekends ago where I visited my favourite fabric shop of all time - Mandors. I managed to find lots of fabric and left the shop much poorer and with bags I could hardly carry back to the hotel. I remembered spying space in C's travel bag when he was packing...One of the fabrics was this lovely striped viscose, 'cheap as chips' and in the choice of either yellow or electric blue colourways. While I love electric blue I thought I'd challenge myself to take the yellow and go way out of my comfort zone. These stripes do NOT photograph well!


I only bought a metre but the fabric is 150cm wide so I knew I'd get something out of it. Ah, yes...there are also lovely, 'artistic' irregular stripes to match. Can't make it too easy for myself!


I used Burda 7079 that I've used before here and here but looks like it's out of print now. Basically, the pattern is for a top (or dress) with front slit at the neck, the back is cut in two pieces with a button loop closure at the neck. There are sleeves if you want them. I ignored the front neckline slit and scooped out the front neckline by about 1 cm. I cut the back on the fold too and didn't have any opening. As long as I scoop out the front, I can get this over my head. I used the front and back facings in the pattern, slightly modified, and used light, iron-on grey coloured interfacing. Why do very few sewists specify the interfacing they use? It's really useful to know and I'll try to remember to keep doing this!

I kept the modifications I made previously - adding 2" to the body length and dropping the dart an inch. I cut the dress bodice length plus two inches I added, but then cut off an inch or so, but that's the way I like to work. If something is too short, I won't wear it. I think that comes from years of trying things on in shops and getting annoyed at the lack of length. I'm 5' 9" tall. The sleeve hems are finished with purchased black satin bias tape.


There are very short, grown-on sleeves covering the shoulders. There are also short sleeves you can add but I couldn't get the stripes to match so didn't bother as I thought it would drive me mad. The bust darts give a good shape to the top and help it hang well in such a drapey fabric. I decided to have a hi-low hem as I always wear tops out, not tucked in. I've got such long legs my proportions look weird if I tuck my tops in.

Not knowing if I'd actually like the finished article, I feel I just flung this top together, threw it at the sewing machine and overlocker and was very pleased that I really like it! Partly that's because I tried a new-to-me colour but mostly because I've got a new top for my holiday. Yay!

4 comments:

  1. Yellow is such a hard color to wear, isn't it? But I happen to love this top on you: you can definitely pull off yellow! =) I quite like the painterly quality of the stripes, even if they were hard to photograph. The whole top has a nice, relaxed feel to it--perfect for holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not sure if I'd wear an entire shirt or top in plain yellow but this is a good compromise. And I love viscose, even if it does love to wrinkle itself up but it's a good fabric to work with and breathable too. Win win!

      Delete
  2. I love yellow, I am convinced everyone can wear it if they are only brave enough. It suits you. I like your new top, it has a great fit. I'd never be able to make anything from one metre of fabric... I go to Mandors sometimes and I am almost always disappointed. I think the problem is mine, I usually have an image in my mind of a fabric I want and then lack the flexibility to change. Do they still use the little note pads with the carbon paper for payment notes? Have a lovely holiday. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina, I would have liked to add the sleeves to this but trying to pattern match the stripes was a no-no. I should have bought more fabric but never mind. I like your description of how you go fabric shopping...I think I come at it in a different way and just buy the fabrics I like. But...then sometimes I find I don't have enough for what I'd really like to make and have to compromise. Ah, the carbon pads, I don't think they used them this time but I was in such a feeding-frenzy of fabric shopping I can't really remember!

      Delete