Pages

Friday 19 May 2017

A paisley patterned Deer and Doe Melilot...what's not to love!



Ah, dear readers, I do love a good paisley patterned anything! And when I already had the fabric how could I not buy the Melilot pattern I'd been hankering after for ages and pay for it to be posted from France. All money well spent, in my opinion, for this lovely, neat, round collared, potentially-kimono-sleeved shirt with long and short sleeved options.


So I bought the fabric, a lovely printed viscose, from Mandors in the September 2016 haul. I like how the background colour is more of a beige than an off-white. That's if you can see the background among  the print. You know what I mean. This allowed me to use some buttons from my tartan button tin. My mum recently gave me some of her buttons so it's now nearly brimming over and that's just the way I like it! I used 8 matching buttons on the front and then 2 different buttons for the cuffs. No-one will ever know but see if you can spot the difference from the photos.


I can't actually remember what size I cut but I did a Full Bust Adjustment that made the existing dart a little bit bigger and maybe I dropped the dart a little, I can't remember because I have washed and worn this constantly since I finished it. The sign of a good shirt, in my book! I also added 2" to the length of the body.


The instructions are good. The front button/hole plackets form part of the front pattern pieces so you have to slow down and cut the correct width of interfacing. I used a lightweight charcoal iron-on throughout this shirt as the viscose has a good drape to it. You also have to get the tape measure out so you accurately turn the plackets back by the correct amount. It's a discipline I'm not used to after decades of sewing. It's good to be challenged, though!

I really like the curved shirt hems although I didn't finish the back hem and front hems before sewing the side seams as the pattern instructs you to do. I was a bit wary as this was the first time I'd made this shirt. All the other seams in the shirt are French seams which again, is a discipline in slowing down and sewing accurately. It takes more time but it's very good for fine fabrics whose sole purpose in life is to fray before your very eyes. Like this one.


The only thing I would say is that I'm aware of the bulk of the French seamed sleeve seams when I'm wearing this shirt. I'm pointing out where the seam is in the above photo. Next time, I'll sew these as a 'normal' seam and overlock the edges, or maybe just overlock the seams, just depends on the fabric, I suppose. Yes I will make this again and already have the fabric, matching thread and pattern sitting in my sewing queue. I've decided to make the short sleeved version so I guess I'll need to make another long sleeved version to test my theory about the sleeve seams. Right, I'd better go! Till the next time, have a great weekend and let me know what your thoughts are on the Melilot. Have you sewn it? Want to sew it? Don't like the sleeve seams too?

7 comments:

  1. I love paisley too. You really did a great job on the construction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverly, good to hear from a fellow paisley lover! I've also managed to find some paisley lace...coming to a blog post soon.

      Delete
  2. Hello, I am visiting your blog for the first time and I really love this paisley shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosemary and good to meet you! This was my first Melilot shirt but it certainly won't be the last! The next one is going to be in a raspberry pink plain coloured fabric.

      Delete
  3. This shirt looks great. I have never made a shirt but the Melilot looks good. I have a Cashmerette Harrison shirt pattern in my basket, hoping to make it sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina, I'm sure you could make a shirt. It's just a series of steps to take. Looking forward to seeing your Cashmerette Harrison shirt appearing on your blog!

      Delete
  4. nice article great post comment information thanks for sharing.
    ลา ลีกา สเปน

    ReplyDelete