Pages

Tuesday 10 February 2015

Kind of a strange pattern...nothing new there!

This is another of my half-price-in-the-sale purchases from John Lewis. It's a lovely viscose/rayon fabric so has a lot of drape to it. It looks a bit olive in this photo, it's darker and more 'green' in real life if you know what I mean.

I bought a couple of new patterns for tops the other week just to make the selection a bit bigger so I decided to have a go at a raglan sleeved pull on top, New Look 6225. By the way, New Look patterns are half price at the moment, for a limited time only, but good to know!

There are no fastenings but some bust darts give some shaping to the body. I made View B, added 2" to the body length and made the sleeves longer. It was a fairly simple stitch together and didn't take too much time. Then I tried it on before sewing the side seams and the bias binding around the neckline. What I didn't do (or forgot to do?), was stay stitch the neck edges so, of course when I tried it on I got the shock of my life as the neckline rested on the edge of my shoulders. Yikes! So, when I started to attach the bias binding to the neck, hey ho, the binding wasn't long enough. It took a while but eventually I got it all to fit and sewed it on. It's fine now but what a schoolboy error! Next time, remember the stay-stitching...

There's not much more to add about this top except that I definitely will make it again as it's a good addition to my wardrobe and I love raglan sleeves! Just a bit too late for Jungle January, but maybe next year...





2 comments:

  1. That looks like the perfect pattern to make basics from. I love raglan sleeves, because I hate setting in sleeves, I find it so difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to get a few patterns that I can make basics with and love woven tops so yes, this is a perfect pattern. I'm with you on raglan sleeves and also setting sleeves in! Now I just sew sleeves onto the body 'on the flat' and then sew up the side and underarm seams as one long seam. Can't see any difference between that and the 'normal' way...well, maybe fewer sweary-words!

    ReplyDelete