Pages

Saturday 11 May 2019

The Afternoon Tea Blouse for Me Made May


Here is my second garment worn to meet my Me Made May pledge of wearing a seldom or never worn garment. I made the Oliver and S Afternoon Tea Blouse in autumn last year and I think the last time I wore it was in November. Is it a hit or a miss? For me, definitely a big hit!


As you can see, I made it in one fabric throughout because I think the seam lines need to be shown off. It's a lovely top but choosing the correct size will get you the correct shoulder fit which I think is crucial for this style of top. I made a muslin and managed to nail the shoulder fit first time around. I did a Full Bust Adjustment but can't remember if I lengthened the body. Probably, as I'm 5'9" tall, or 1.75m.


The style of blouse, for me, isn't suitable for work wear really, so that's partly why it hasn't been worn for a few months.

The fabric is a lovely maroon-chestnut colour that I absolutely love but that's difficult to photograph. It's a surprisingly heavy, drapey viscose crepe bought last year from the Clothspot. Sadly, I think it's sold out. So, even if you hang the top to dry on a hanger, you'll still have to do some intricate ironing to get rid of some stubborn creases but it's worth the effort.


My advice to anyone making up this pattern is to follow the instructions to the letter, and to mark your fabric pieces after you've cut them out as the front pieces are very similar to the back pieces. I did all this and was fine but I can see that cutting corners would be risky!


Is it a keeper? Yes! It's been washed and is just waiting for the intricate ironing before I hang it up in the wardrobe again. I'm really enjoying my challenge! It's refreshing to wear something different and rediscovering my garments as I get stuck in a rut in winter just trying to keep warm and neglect some lovely garments hanging in my wardrobe.

2 comments:

  1. This is very pretty and flattering! And the fabric sounds yummy. I do like the seamlines that bring the emphasis to your face and shoulders.

    I have a tip for those stubborn wrinkles. Let your top, dress, trousers, or whatever hang to dry. Then, and this is the trick, mist it with water and shake it out. Maybe smooth and tug it with your hands. Then let it dry again. Wrinkles will be almost gone! I don't know why the second dampening works when the wrinkles don't come out straight from the wash, but it does. I keep a spray bottle in my laundry just for this purpose. For casual garments and knits I don't even bother to iron after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay and thanks for your lovely comments. I really like your advice about dealing with pesky wrinkles and will be stealing those tips in the future!

      Delete